Friday, September 16, 2011

la LIP

This blog did not start out to be about films.  I thought it was about refashioning clothes and how my life is being redesigned right before my eyes.....

But.....I'm watching movies again, even though I should be getting ready to travel.   What is going on!?
 
I LOVED 'THE Butterfly'. The little girl has such spunk and she's the spittin' image of one of my grandaughters.  Maybe if she, my grandaughter, and I watched the film together she'd learn French and love butterflies. 
I never intended to blog about films....don't know why I'm drawn to what I'm drawn to lately.  Seems to be French, British and Italian films.  I know there's a reason...something to be learned, or done, or changed.  I'll get it when the time is right.

Lot of French films lately.  Who knows why? 
The only French I really remember is graffiti on a wall somewhere in France when I was a teenager.  I don't remember where we were but I do remember the words scrawled on a wall....."mort à la police à la LIP".  LIP was a French watch/clock factory embroiled in turmoil in the 70's. (My family lived in Spain and traveled when school was out for the summer.)   I became a professional watchmaker in the late 80's...maybe because of some French graffiti....and though I haven't practiced the trade since 2001, I can still see 'la LIP' written in black on the wall in my mind's eye. 

Since the memory is here, now, I had to research la LIP.
 Wow!!
Funny, the circles life leads us in.
http://people.timezone.com/msandler/Articles/DownesLip/Lip.html 
I need to go back to France.

2 comments:

Kari. said...

That is so cool that you used to be a watchmaker! And that your family lived in Spain and traveled when school was out. Very neat. What nationality are you? And what did your parents do that you were able to travel? And my mind does the same kinds of things -- jumps all over the place. I just have so many things that interest me.

Coastalharp said...

@Kari....I'm a plain, old American. Father was military stationed in Spain. Watchmaking fell into my lap after I divorced and kids to support.