Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Beach Weddings (Style Tips From a Harpist's Point of View)

the harp and lovly outfit are real...body was real about
10 years ago....the beach, birds and face....not so much
I wonder how many weddings will be occuring on Tybee Beach this weekend?

I love beach weddings!
Really, I do!

Even though I usually bring home enough sand to start my own island. Even though I often wind up playing alone out in the sand while the guests watch from an inside bar.

I like the spiky modern look the salt breeze gives my hair and the smooth glow my face has after the sand-blast facial. I love the gritty feel of sand, the sound and smell of surf. I like birds.....distant birds.

Here's what I've learned:

4 The wind is almost always blowing at the beach. Hair, long veils, short dresses, unanchored arbors, and candle flames will blow around, up, over and out.
4 In late winter/early spring the wind that is always blowing on the beach is always colder than you expect.

4 If the weather is hot you'll boil and burn in a fairy-tale, satin ball gown with no sun screen even though the wind is blowing on the beach. (parasols and lightweight, tea length gowns solve a multitude of beachy woes and look great in pictures!)

4 Loose sand is easier to walk in when you're wearing flats or going barefooted. Remind grandmas that heels, hose and sand......well, you get the picture.
4 Sound will be carried away by the wind and sand will be carried along by the wind. Seat/stand your guests, musicians and officiant accordingly.
4 Everything that gets carried out to the site will have to be carried back.
4 Tides can't be controlled....plan around them.
4 Don't touch the jellyfish.
4 Seagulls love birdseed......bubbles, not so much.
Just my point of view.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A beach wedding is just. not. me! I'd much prefer the mountains. in fact, for a lot of the reasons you mention. ESPECIALLY the sand!!! ~Serene

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

Love this. Very good advice from what sounds like a seasoned performer : >